Plant quarantine

cabbysarus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know you should quarantine fish, other axolotls, and plants for about a month before adding them into your habitat. I am under the impression that this is because you don't want to introduce new diseases and such. My problem is, the critters will show signs of having the disease... what am I looking for with the plants?

A lot of people quarantine their plants to remove any hitchhikers like parasites and snails, and keep them there in quarantine until any eggs that were on the plant hatch (or the parasites die off). Another concern is algae - some people dip their plants to rid them of any algae (ie. 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide to 5 parts water then submerse in clean dechlorinated water.). Some fish forums suggest that plants may be carriers of disease even if they can't 'get' the disease they may bring it into your tank, but i haven't found much information to support this, and it really would depend on where you are getting your plants from as well. (ie. another person's populated tank). Very diluted bleach dips are used by some people, but this will kill some plants.

I personally inspect and submerge any new plants in dechlorinated water before putting them in my tank. I don't quarantine them for the same length of time as I would any new critters. That's just me though and maybe i've just been lucky so far...

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back