The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 23rd October 2015   #1
cabbysarus

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cabbysarus has started on the right path
Default Plant quarantine

I know you should quarantine fish, other axolotls, and plants for about a month before adding them into your habitat. I am under the impression that this is because you don't want to introduce new diseases and such. My problem is, the critters will show signs of having the disease... what am I looking for with the plants?

cabbysarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015   #2
CatSpit

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CatSpit has given good advice and informationCatSpit has given good advice and information
Default Re: Plant quarantine

A lot of people quarantine their plants to remove any hitchhikers like parasites and snails, and keep them there in quarantine until any eggs that were on the plant hatch (or the parasites die off). Another concern is algae - some people dip their plants to rid them of any algae (ie. 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide to 5 parts water then submerse in clean dechlorinated water.). Some fish forums suggest that plants may be carriers of disease even if they can't 'get' the disease they may bring it into your tank, but i haven't found much information to support this, and it really would depend on where you are getting your plants from as well. (ie. another person's populated tank). Very diluted bleach dips are used by some people, but this will kill some plants.

I personally inspect and submerge any new plants in dechlorinated water before putting them in my tank. I don't quarantine them for the same length of time as I would any new critters. That's just me though and maybe i've just been lucky so far...

Last edited by CatSpit; 24th October 2015 at 00:04. Reason: added text
CatSpit is offline   Reply With Quote