Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

American Bullfrogs in Europe

outdoorvivaria

Reaction score
I have recently seen some albino American Bullfrogs for sale in Europe.

The supplier told me that they are ok, legally, because they are albino?

Can somebody point me to the law regarding this species?

Are they ok because of their colour?

Is it ok to trade in European born animals?

Is anyone on here, in Europe, breeding this species?

I dont have the room for them at them moment but I would consider expanding to have a pair of these as long as it was all legit!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it, its illegal to import Bullfrogs or their eggs into the UK so I would imagine its the same in Europe. Actually owning them or trading captive bred ones should be ok though.
What I will say about Bullfrogs is think very carefully before you acquire any. I kept two adult females that I raised from the tadpoles they used to sell in pet shops and they were a nightmare. They are very skittish and easily startled, mine had a huge 5'x2'x2' aquarium which wasn't really big enough to stop them from sometimes hitting the sides and they would also regularly fight each other for the best places to sit. On top of that there's the noise they make, mine were females but it was still like having an angry cow in my room, goodness knows what male ones sound like!

caleb

Reaction score
As I understand it, its illegal to import Bullfrogs or their eggs into the UK so I would imagine its the same in Europe

It's illegal to import bullfrogs into the EU under EC regulation 2551/97:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:31997R2551&from=EN

But as far as I know, it's not illegal to move them from one country to another inside the EU (including the UK).

There are no laws against keeping or trading them in the UK- I don't know anything about the situation in other European countries.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1