The Rains Have Come! -- Northern California Herping

AdvythAF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Advyth
I took a trip to Northern California and here are my finds!

• A couple California Slender Salamanders, Batrachoseps attenuatus
I only found a few slender salamanders, interestingly, they were less common than Ensatina eschscholtzii. Also, the ones I found were smaller than what I find in the Bay Area.

• 5 Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonesis, Oregon Ensatina
These were by far the most common salamanders. I found 3 under pieces of bark and 2 under larger logs. One of the Ensatinas, pictured down below was really thin. I think this is because it had just come out of estivation over the dry months (see my information on the weather conditions down below)

One of the Ensatinas secreted a fluid on me as I picked it up.

• 3 Taricha ssp. (identification opinion would be appreciated! :happy:)
Two adults were found under a single log in a redwood forest clearing, photos of the clearing are posted below. As soon as I turned the log they started walking to find a new shelter. I will try to post a video of this as well.

I also found a Taricha juvenile under the same log as an adult Ensatina.

• 1 Aneides juvenile (identification opinion would be appreciated too!)
This tiny, tiny juvenile was found underneath a small log in a creek bed, which was not flowing, but was extremely wet. This salamander was really tiny. I am really not sure what species this is, but I think it could be a juvenile Aneides flavipunctatus or Aneides vagrans.

Other Non-Amphibian Animals:

• 1 California Alligator Lizard
I found this lizard underneath a piece of wood in a coastal grassland habitat. It was 48 degrees outside so it was extremely sluggish.

• Banana Slugs
The classic slimy herbivore of the redwood forest. It was nice to see them after such a dry summer. Photo below.

Habitat Notes:

The major habitat I herped in was redwood forest, but I also herped in a forest clearing near a pond, coastal grassland, and coastal forest.

In redwood forest: Ensatina, Batrachosepps, and Taricha.
In the grassy forest clearing (adjacent to the redwood forest): Aneides juvenile (not sure if it really is though), and Taricha
In the coastal grassland: the Alligator Lizard
In coastal forest: Batrachoseps

Weather Condition Notes:

On the first day I herped it had just rained the previous night, and the area had gotten some rain the previous weeks. It also sprinkled in the morning. On the second day, again it rained in the night, but harder, and stopped in the morning.

In California some salamanders estivate in moist places during dry months. I think the amphibians were just coming out due to the rains.

Hope you learn something from my experiences!

Thin Oregon Ensatina, side view

Thin Oregon Ensatina

Oregon Ensatina 2

Aneides Juvenile

Aneides Juvenile under log

Stream and Moss Covered Tree

Banana Slug

Alligator Lizard and Habitat

Alligator Lizard

CA Slender Salamander, Coiled

Coastal Forest
Taricha Juvenile Walking
Another View of Redwood Forest Habitat
Oregon Ensatina, secreting

Taricha Juvenile

Stream in Redwood Forest Habitat

View of Redwood Forest Habitat, stream

Some of the pictures are distorted, click on them to see the undistorted version
More pictures to come!

Nice finds Advyth!

I'm just looking on my phone so it's a bit hard to tell, but the Taricha look like T. granulosa to me :)

Nice going, have not seen a whole lot in my area yet. I am also thinking T.granulosa. Definitely Aneides sp, hard to tell what species though. Could be a juvenile A flavipunctatus, A. ferreus or A. vagrans. Looking at a range map will be helpful to iron that out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back