Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When do gills start to become more prominent?

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a better idea of how old my axolotl Mushu is, so I figured maybe his gills would tell me something? They aren't developed very prominently yet. They do not stick out too, too much. At what age will they start to appear more? Or is this just how his are going to look?

IMG_7719.jpg

ax.jpg

Charlotl

Reaction score
Axolotl are born with fluffy gills. The length of the critter is used to determine an approximate age. Even this isn't super accurate since length depends on how well they were fed and even natural differences from one axolotl to the next.

Edit:
Just looked at your pictures. The gills are abnormally small and he is very thin. I would check the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) as well as temperature right away. Also, if you haven't already, give this web page a look http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm. It will give you lots of useful info on how to take care of aquatic salamanders.

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
Axolotl are born with fluffy gills. The length of the critter is used to determine an approximate age. Even this isn't super accurate since length depends on how well they were fed and even natural differences from one axolotl to the next.

Edit:
Just looked at your pictures. The gills are abnormally small and he is very thin. I would check the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) as well as temperature right away. Also, if you haven't already, give this web page a look Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity. It will give you lots of useful info on how to take care of aquatic salamanders.

these pics i took on the day I got him almost two weeks ago, in fact, the first picture was right after he was given to me in the store. he's gained some weight since then and seems incredibly active. I'll review the info though to be safe!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!