Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sex ratio on marms

Blackbun

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance donatkin, but what exactly are marms?

I've been very successful with marbled newts over the years and like to place two males with one female in the breeding tank. I have found that males make more of an effort if they have competition for the female. However, nothing is ever straightforward and I keep a keen eye on males interrupting what appears to be a successful courtship leading to spermatophore deposition and then uptake. I find it important that the substrate is suitable and there is room for the two animals with out interference from weeds etc. But even before we get to this stage, it is important that the adults have been 'prepared' through the year eg temperature cycle, feeding etc.

otolith

Reaction score
Last year I had a 1.4 group and had pretty low fertility rate with eggs (~25%). This year I have two additional males and am hoping for better results. They have been tail fanning for the past few weeks and I have not found the males to be territorial or aggressive with each other. A male heavy group can be a problem, ie. 4.1. The constant courting can really stress out the females if they can't get a break.

I have 3.3 in a 50 gallon tank and they all do great. The majority of the group stayed aquatic during the summer. I like having close to a 1.1 or 1.2 ratio with most Triturus species.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Please forgive my ignorance donatkin, but what exactly are marms? "

It's just an abbreviation of marmoratus. :)

JM29

Reaction score
There is also Desmognathus marmoratus.
Giving the complete name is always preferable.

Happy new(t) year !

JM29

Reaction score
The best sex ratio depends on what you ant to do with these animals.

If you want to obtain a lot of young animals each year (to sell them?), a ratio 1 male for 2 females is often cited.

If your aim is keeping a captive strain for a long time, you'd better keep several couples separately, keep only a few larvae (same number by couple), so that each breeding adult has the same reproductive success.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying 'marms'.

I tend to go with JM29's idea of several groups set up in different tanks to ensure a good number of large and healthy youngsters from a range of animals thus increasing the variety in the gene pool. What I also think is important is the water temperature. I use an aquarium heater set between 19 and 22C. That's served me well though I'm sure other people have success with their own method.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1