The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Old 27th December 2015   #1
Methos5K

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Methos5K has given consistently excellent advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently excellent advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently excellent advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Salamanders of the Old World by Max Sparreboom

I received this title for Christmas and wanted to do a quick write up. Truly a tome of knowledge of all Salamander species in the Old World. The original book published in French, Robert Thorn's classic 1968 text, "Les Salamandres" was considered the standard. Behold the new authoritative, definitive book on the subject. Europe, Middle-east, Africa and Asia are all covered.

At 430 pages, this book is huge. Richly illustrated with all color photographs of each species and subspecies (both sexes); as well as habitats, breeding/courting behavior and detailed maps of the geographical range of each salamander. Animals with complex mating/courtship rituals have detailed step-by-step drawings/photos of the whole sequence. Amazing stuff.

Each species contains the following entries:
1) Description (complete physical information
2) Diagnosis (information on how to differentiate between similar species)
3) Eggs and larvae (descriptions)
4) Distribution ( geographical range)
5) Habitat (detailed information on their natural environment)
6) Behavior (species-specific general information)
7) Threats and conservation (very specific information about environmental threats, as well as legal legislation/conservation laws, i.e. protected in home country)
8) Observations in captivity (Difficulty in keeping and breeding)
9) Comments (Yes, even more information, of topics ranging from taxonomy to university/zoological notes)
10) References (individual sources of published/referenced material

The entire volume is cross-referenced to just about every single article/journal/book published in every language in the known universe. It retails for $160 US, but it is of the utmost quality. Thick, durable binding with quality paper. It is now the crown jewel of my always expanding salamander library.

Now can we get a companion volume for the New World? Please?

ISBN-13: 978-9050114851
ISBN-10: 9050114857

Last edited by Methos5K; 27th December 2015 at 03:00. Reason: added ISBN info
Methos5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015   #2
philj

Nationality:
Rep: philj is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking for something comparable to this book for new world salamanders, salamanders of the united states and canada by james petranka is an excellent book :-)

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

philj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016   #3
Methos5K

Nationality:
Rep: Methos5K has given consistently excellent advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently excellent advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently excellent advice and informationMethos5K has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Salamanders of the Old World by Max Sparreboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
If you are looking for something comparable to this book for new world salamanders, salamanders of the united states and canada by james petranka is an excellent book :-)

Picked that up. I love it. Now can you recommend a book covering central and south american salamanders? I'm finding precious little, mostly scientific reports in pdf formats in university websites.

Old 21st January 2016   #4
philj

Nationality:
Rep: philj is an unknown quantity at this point

I know exactly what you are talking about. in terms of books covering just south/central american caudates i havent seen anything, just papers. Ive had my eye on amphibians of central america by Gunther Kohler. Ive read some good reviews but as the title says its all amphibians and not just caudates (dont know whether thats a problem for you or not). If you do get it let me know how it is! Other than that theres a several captive care books which cover a few bolitoglossa species...

philj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016   #5
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

There's a new book on amphibians and reptiles of the border states of Mexico and USA, with chapters on each state. I haven't yet bought it, but a number of bolitoglossines and Ambystoma, plus a couple other rarely-reported salamanders occur in those Mexican states.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016   #6
Caleb Leeke
(caleb)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Ive had my eye on amphibians of central america by Gunther Kohler. Ive read some good reviews but as the title says its all amphibians and not just caudates (dont know whether thats a problem for you or not). If you do get it let me know how it is!
I was slightly disappointed that Kohler's book doesn't include all of Mexico- it covers Panama to the far south-east of Mexico. If you want a sneaky preview, there is a (poorly scanned) pdf version you might be able to find.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016   #7
MarioR
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogEyes View Post
There's a new book on amphibians and reptiles of the border states of Mexico and USA, with chapters on each state..
What's the title of this book?

Thanks!
Mario

Old 22nd January 2016   #8
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Amphibians and Reptiles of the US-Mexico Border States/Anfibios y reptiles de los estados de la frontera Mťxico-Estados Unidos

by Julio A. Lemos-Espinal

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote