Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cycling tank

Reaction score
Ok, so I JUST set up my tank, like literally today, and when I tested the water it said 0-0.25 (the color was inbetween shades) ppm for ammonia and 0ppm for nitrites. I added water conditioner, and an alkaline boost, but nothing else. The only other thing in the aquarium is a thermometer and sand. I don't yet have a filter or any plants, hides, fake plants, or anything else that could change the water chemistry. I'm really confused as to why this is because I feel like there should be more ammonia as it usually takes at least 2 weeks to cycle (for me in the past when I had fish). I tested and retested 3 times to be sure I wasnt making a mistake, it still came back the same. I have a brand new tank that I just bought today as well. Does anyone have any advice/information Why is this happening?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Your tank isn't cycled.

That you have any ammonia is surprising. You have just set up your tank. There hasn't been time for ammonia to build up. Usually, ammonia builds up from living things in the tank (poop, leftover food). If you just set up a tank, ammonia is usually 0 unless you add something to increase the ammonia level.

Do you have an axolotl (or anything else alive) in your tank yet? If you don't, the most-likely source of ammonia is your tap water. Get some fresh tap water, treat it with you water conditioner as directed, and test for ammonia. If you have ammonia, that means (most likely) your water supply is treated with chloramine (ammonia and chlorine bonded together) instead of chlorine.

Are you planning to do a "fishless" cycle.?

Reaction score
I was thinking of putting a few hardy fish in my tank to cycle it. But I still havent gotten my filter so it won't be for at least a week that I do that.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Do a fishless cycle. Even if you cycle with a few hardy fish, they don't provide as big of a bio-load as an axolotl, so your tank may have enough biofilter for small fish, but still not enough for an axolotl. With a fishless cycle, if you use plain ammonia, you can control the ammonia level, and when it is cycled, you know it has a strong enough biofilter.

Just remember, the big water change at the end of a fishless cycle is particularly important with axolotls since they are more sensitive to nitrate than fish are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!