Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl not eating night crawlers

Logard

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for 6 months now, for the 1st 5 I've fed him blood worms and he seemed to love them. I then decided to see if he'd eat night crawlers yet because I was told they're better for him. Sure enough, he devoured it immediately. I didn't want to over-do it so I only gave him 1 night crawler and 1 blood worm cube per day. This went on for a few days until 1 day he nips at the night crawler and left it. Ever since then he just won't eat the night crawlers. I've prepared them correctly, between soaking them in water for a few minutes then cutting them in half before giving them to him and I'm not forcing it on him, but i test it every few days to see if he'll eat 1 and he just avoids it like they're the worst thing he's ever tasted. Should I keep trying every once in a while? Am i buying bad night crawlers? Or is this normal?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I have the same problem with one of my Axolotls, first two times I fed him Dendrobaena worms he ate them, now, even after blanching them and cutting them in half he will not eat them, he just turns away. I've tried not feeding him for 3-4 days now and the most I get is a snap and then he spits them out.

I have 4" Axolotls that will eat worms cut into small chunks with no problem..

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
This is pretty normal, both my axolotls love big Canadian night crawlers, but axolotls like humans seem to have a taste preference! Both of them also seem to hate brine shrimp. So in my opinion yes, it's normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jameverywhere

Reaction score
One blood worm cube a day seems like a lot of food for an axie. My not-quite-year-old Axie only eats two worms every few days and a cube of something (bloodworms or brine shrimp) once a week. Altho' I do have ghost shrimp living in the tank that he helps himself to as he's able to catch them...

My axie wouldn't eat nightcrawlers at first. Live ones would move in a way that he'd snap at them, but he'd always spit them out. I had to blanch them, cut them into pieces, and then freeze them before he ever ate one and kept it down. At first he would ONLY eat blanched and frozen pieces but now he'll eat blanched ones that haven't been frozen. He still won't eat them live.

You might want to try stopping the bloodworms for a spell. Get him hungry enough to eat whatever you offer. Bloodworms are kinda like candy to axies--not super healthy. Feed them as a treat and not as a staple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1