Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Refrigeration and Salt Bath for possible fungal infection??

natuhlee

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I think my newt may have a fungal infection (I have another post titled FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles? Which I have decided is definitely not bloat) and I'm trying to get him a veterinary appointment, but everyone is closed until Monday morning. Until then, does anyone know what I can do for him? I've heard refrigeration but how long do I leave him in there? Also, what about salt baths? I read those can help with fungal infections...how exactly would I do that? Thanks in advance.

natuhlee

Reaction score
Thanks! I've looked at that page before and that's where I got the refrigeration and salt bath ideas from, but it doesn't give any specific information on how to do it. I'm also pretty inexperienced with FBN (these are my first ones and I'm realizing how difficult they are to take care of) so i'm not sure where to go from here without the exacts. :(

(I posted this on both threads for anyone else who may look at this :happy: )

Donna001

Reaction score
I have posted more information on the other thread, but it would be great if someone more experienced, or with specific FBN experience could check the information and offer advice.
Cheers.
:happy:

CatSpit

Reaction score
This is a tutorial on salt baths and fridging. I have not done either of these things so I am no expert, but in searching the forums I found that the tutorial has been used with newts (the salt bath part, I am not sure about fridging).

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

Hope this helps and that someone can provide information about fridging a newt. I am glad you are taking your newt to the vet next week as it is really important that it receives proper medical treatment.

natuhlee

Reaction score
Do salt baths get rid of the fungal infection, or just help stop it from spreading?

natuhlee

Reaction score
PS Thanks for posting that tutorial! Very helpful. I'm assuming it's the same for newts?

CatSpit

Reaction score
Salt baths are helpful with fungus, but in your case you need to consult a vet as it needs to be determined if the cause is bacterial or fungal.

natuhlee

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to get him into the vet (I have an appointment for Friday and am trying to get him in tomorrow) but I talked to the vet earlier (actually he left me a voicemail) suggesting that I bring his temperature up to the 70s and that I do it gradually so as not to stress him out. Any ideas on how to do that?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Do not raise the temperature as this will stress the newt as well as support the growth of infectious pathogens. Most vets are very inexperienced in regards to proper caudate care and while you need a vet to determine what type of infection is affecting your newt and to get the proper prescription to treat that infection, do not take his advice in this regards. Seriously, raising the temperature could very likely kill your newt.

HJ

cjbart1009

Reaction score
My fire belly newt has a small wound on his belly. My room stays at a constant 68 Fahrenheit and I just change the water everyday. It seems like it's healing on it's own. I do use RO/DI water tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatSpit

Reaction score
My fire belly newt has a small wound on his belly. My room stays at a constant 68 Fahrenheit and I just change the water everyday. It seems like it's healing on it's own. I do use RO/DI water tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, wounds can be quite serious for newts - I am glad to hear that it seems to be healing on its own, but definitely keep an eye on it. I had a newt with an open wound a while ago, this is the link as I was given good information on treating it from the start. It did not respond to my treatments and I had to have a herp vet look at the newt and prescribe treatment which worked very quickly.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f47-newt-salamander-help/101508-newt-wound.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1