Question: Will my axolotl die overnight?!?

TonksKingsley

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I got a new tank today and as a result have to keep my axolotls in small separate little tanks overnight. They seem ok but I decided to swap them over because one is a lot bigger but was in the smaller tank. Anyway after I did it I realised the tempuratures were quite different between the two little tanks. How badly will this effect them. They will be back in the big tank tomorrow........ HALP!!!

Hi TonksKingsley and welcome to the forum. :happy:

The tank situation is unfortunate, but don't panic.
Do you know what temperatures they were? What temperatures are the tanks now? Are either axolotls showing any unusual behaviour? Do they seem stressed?

Keep a close eye on them for now. I should imagine that the change in temperature may have been a bit of a shock, as temperature fluctuations are not good, but it is usually temperatures greater than 23/24C for longer periods of time that are the worst and the most dangerous.

Do you have a cycled filter for the new tank? Make sure that you check the water parameters before you put your axolotls into the new tank.

Best of luck. :happy:

Thanks Donna
Woke up this morning and they both seem fine. Temps if the small tanks seem on the low end. Although, the new tank is taking ages to settle. I think I'm going to have to leave them in the small tanks today while I'm at work :(. Will that be ok?! Any tips?!

Should be fine as long as you make sure that they have clean water. With a quarantined axolotl it is usual to keep them in a small container with daily complete water changes. Small containers risk rapid ammonia build up, so frequent water changes are essential. As long as the water parameters are excellent your little ones will be fine. :happy:
When your new tank is settled make sure you test the water parameters and that the tank is cycled before putting your axolotls into the new tank. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back