Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my salamander an Ambystoma Tigrinum?

anonymoose

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I came across an interesting little creature at the pet store who was submerged under water, but still had feet. Completely amazed by this, I felt the need to purchase one of my own. The pet store, of course, had no information about the little guy present, and they were housing him with fish, in GRAVEL. After seeing this, I figured that he was going to permanently be an aquatic animal so there was no stopping my purchase.

Before I introduced him to an aquarium, I obviously did a lot of research on the care of this thing that I just bought. At first I was under the impression that I was buying an Axolotl. To make this story short, I was just poking around to see if anyone could positively identify my salamander. I think it's an Eastern Tiger Salamander, but I am unsure because his adult color doesn't seem to be in all the way. I've included a few pictures of him throughout his time with me. (I need to stop referring to it as he, considering it isn't sexed yet! Oops.)

First attachment: at the pet store.
Second attachment: few weeks after being home
Third attachment: almost finished with metamorphosis

This my first post, please be easy on me! Thank you.

Attachments

• 20160329_231759-1.jpg
    20160329_231759-1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 20160420_162624.jpg
    20160420_162624.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 20160508_150257.jpg
    20160508_150257.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 249

Donna001

Reaction score
Wow, the difference between the first and second pictures is amazing. You were obviously feeding him well when you got him home.
The metamorphosis progress is fascinating. One of the other keepers on this site has a salamander called Jabba and posted almost daily updates on progress and I couldn't believe how quickly it happened.
I keep axolotls rather than salamanders, but I love looking at other peoples posts and seeing how the different types of newts and salamanders progress. :happy:

anonymoose

Reaction score
Wow, the difference between the first and second pictures is amazing. You were obviously feeding him well when you got him home.
The metamorphosis progress is fascinating. One of the other keepers on this site has a salamander called Jabba and posted almost daily updates on progress and I couldn't believe how quickly it happened.
I keep axolotls rather than salamanders, but I love looking at other peoples posts and seeing how the different types of newts and salamanders progress. :happy:

I have a lot of pictures that I've gathered over the past two months since I got him lol. It's a completely remarkable experience being able to watch their whole body change. Metamorphosis was completed within literally a week!
I've also got a pair of Axolotl babies. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1