New amphibian owner, new caudata member.

anonymoose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I just recently became an amphibian owner on accident, but I've got to say ... I'm in LOVE! My name is Tristen, I'm a stay at home mom who is currently caring for quite the variety of creatures:
Amphibians
2 Axolotls
1 Tiger Salamander (I think an ambystoma tigrinum)
Aquatics
3 Glass Catfish
2 Goldfish
1 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
1 Golden Dojo Loach

Also a cat, dog, and toddler haha.

I accidentally purchased my salamander at the pet store, under the impression that I was buying an animal whom would stay aquatic their whole life. They gave me absolutely no information on what I was getting into, probably because they didn't know about them either, so it was pretty obvious that I needed to take action and give this animal a chance at life. After getting home and doing tons of research, only then did I know that what I actually purchased was a salamander in larval form. Being the big hearted individual that I am, I kept the little thing and now s/he is finishing up metamorphosis, and was introduced to the new aquarium last night.

I never pictured myself to be owning the largest land-dwelling salamander, but that's what brought me here today! I hope you guys enjoy my story of how I became a first-time amphibian owner, and I also hope to become help in the future to people who share similar stories as mine.
Have a great day, and thanks for reading!​

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :happy:

That is quite a list of animals you have, if you have time to take some pictures and post them we would love to see them. :D

I currently have 6 axolotls and multiple fish tanks, and I enjoy all of them as they are great little characters.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :happy:

That is quite a list of animals you have, if you have time to take some pictures and post them we would love to see them. :D

I currently have 6 axolotls and multiple fish tanks, and I enjoy all of them as they are great little characters.

Thank you for the warm welcoming! Attached are my GFP leucistic axolotl, and my gold gilled wild type axie. My filter recently stopped working without my notice, it was a few days before I saw that it stopped, and my wild type baby's gills looked completely awful. They are just now starting to grow back out properly as I have placed them in large Tupperware bowls with 100% water changes daily.

I refuse to let my little fighter just give up on me!​

Attachments

• 2016-05-12 16.40.56.jpg
    2016-05-12 16.40.56.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 2016-05-12 16.42.11.jpg
    2016-05-12 16.42.11.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 139
He looks pretty good considering his filter stopped working. I would expect him to make a full recovery and regenerate his gill feathers with your treatment of water changes. Just keep the water parameters excellent and he will start regrowing his gills before you realise.
they are both lovely looking axolotls. I personally have quite a soft spot for wild types, light wild types, coppers etc. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back