Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus Axolotl questions

ChristinaHerne

Reaction score
I noticed that my adult male Axolotl has the fluffy white fungus and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can to help him.

I've started salt baths yesterday (as of now I've only given him two) and they've been about 1.5 tablespoon of salt in a liter of water for 10-15 minutes. After he gets one the fungus starts to fall off is that a good sign?

I also gave him a very large water change yesterday, and I believe I read somewhere that you're supposed to do water changes everyday when they have fungus. Is it a normal water change or should I continue with the larger ones?

His temperature in his tank has been around 68 but I'm purchasing tank fans to try and help cool it down more (its a 20g tank so if you have tips or know brands of fans that are good quality, the last one I got stopped working in a few weeks) Sometimes the tank will reach 70 but with a few ice bottles I tend to lower it faster.

As I said the fungus seems to be falling off after each bath and he seems to be acting relatively normal, pooping and eating and such. I just want to make sure that there isn't something I could be doing more/ making sure I'm doing everything right. I've also read that I should continue salt baths even after the fungus seems to be gone for a few days? Is that true?

http://oi66.tinypic.com/1zque7m.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/inzeah.jpg

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
If it is minor fungus then salt baths are not needed. The fungus should fall off on its own a slong as the water conditions are correct. Salt baths are highly irritating to the skin and only recommended in serious situations.

The fungus falling off is a good sign.

Don't continue the salt baths, just make sure your tank is cycled and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1