Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chimera and Mosaic what mix of axolotl created them?

tipnatee

Reaction score
What's the different ? And what about
Heavy Mark Melaniod ? And other weird genetic mutation Which mix created them ????

As I posted one before about my GFP lucistic female breed with White Melanoid, somehow the baby came out looking like Wild type, and things is getting weirder as they grow half of them starting to get lighter and half darker. I don't know what color they might ended up with but I sure like to know what to expect soon before I lose my mind. :eek: :confused:

auntiejude

Reaction score
First of all there is no such thing as a chimera - it's a misnomer. A chimera is made by fusing to zygotes together, this can't happen with amphibians.
Mosaics exist though - it's caused by a mutation once the embryo has formed. This is a random event, although some people have pairs who seem to throw out a couple of mosaics in each clutch of babies. It is not a hertitable trait, and cannot be predicted.

What you need to understand is that genetics is not like mixing paint. Genetics is all about pairs of genes, and if you cross a leucisitc with a melanoid you'll usually get 100% wildtypes if there are no other recessive genes in the mix. Read up on genetics on axolotl.org.

tipnatee

Reaction score
image.jpg
So what can this babies be?

tipnatee

Reaction score
Like I said as my last post the white albino Melaniod with lucistic had gave birth to lucistic before this batch , and this batch half of the are regular dark wild but these group, in different light they look even lighter I can't capture it on photos unfortunately

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!