The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 14th July 2016   #1
NYC Axolotl
(tipnatee)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Chimera and Mosaic what mix of axolotl created them?

What's the different ? And what about
Heavy Mark Melaniod ? And other weird genetic mutation Which mix created them ????

As I posted one before about my GFP lucistic female breed with White Melanoid, somehow the baby came out looking like Wild type, and things is getting weirder as they grow half of them starting to get lighter and half darker. I don't know what color they might ended up with but I sure like to know what to expect soon before I lose my mind.

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016   #2
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Chimera and Mosaic what mix of axolotl created them?

First of all there is no such thing as a chimera - it's a misnomer. A chimera is made by fusing to zygotes together, this can't happen with amphibians.
Mosaics exist though - it's caused by a mutation once the embryo has formed. This is a random event, although some people have pairs who seem to throw out a couple of mosaics in each clutch of babies. It is not a hertitable trait, and cannot be predicted.

What you need to understand is that genetics is not like mixing paint. Genetics is all about pairs of genes, and if you cross a leucisitc with a melanoid you'll usually get 100% wildtypes if there are no other recessive genes in the mix. Read up on genetics on axolotl.org.

Old 14th July 2016   #3
NYC Axolotl
(tipnatee)

Nationality:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	47506
So what can this babies be?

Old 14th July 2016   #4
NYC Axolotl
(tipnatee)

Nationality:

Like I said as my last post the white albino Melaniod with lucistic had gave birth to lucistic before this batch , and this batch half of the are regular dark wild but these group, in different light they look even lighter I can't capture it on photos unfortunately