Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help please? How old is my axolotl?

CarysR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time axolotl owner here. I've been trolling this forum since I got my little axie, and you guys have answered so many questions for me :)

I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out how old my juvenile is. I bought him (her? probably too young to tell) about 7 weeks ago at a local fish auction. It was a total impulse buy, I'd never even heard of an axolotl, but I'm an experienced fish keeper and at the time it looked cool. I've been learning on the fly, and I absolutely love this little monster. I'm so happy I brought him into my home. His name is Toothless (at the time I thought it was original).

Photos from June 20
GPZr5aSWUFAK_F7mpcDT_vkMgKHg9fMPJhMTFcfNjQM
5deLjovM3tge6mzOUXo6TiKpjbYTzH-xbPFX6ifrHS8%2C-slfcFNHIT85M65jvK-TQ27KLF6SH2-9og6uXQ4FuKg

Photos from August 6
rCvvYr44yg1Kb_cdujTj_F2yEGqH7ueCoauY-L6Y-o4
Q4RVQ0VGBhuUmxtZxh-iDxg3MDDjDJvtpKcA5qiBKL8%2CMJ74xx6cy9uvGp4fOM31zyv8tNQoModLhFvXKzg6_hs

Tootheless was about 2 inches long when I bought him, and he's already 6 inches long. Growing 4 inches in 7 weeks seems so fast to me! Do all axolotls grow this quick, or should I just be prepared to have a monster on my hands?

Thanks for your help :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Those pictures won't open, but you can reckon on an inch per month, but yours is growing fast. At 6" you'd normally expect the axie to be 5-6 months, but yours may be a little younger, maybe 4-5 months.

CarysR

Reaction score
Whoops, lets try these photos again. (Is there a way to edit a post?)

Baby Toothless
2j6z3c.jpg

Current Toothless
2ymf1i8.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!