Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: :( Please Help

Breannasauraus

Reaction score
I got my Axolotls last Tuesday. The weekend before I took the gravel out of my tank to replace it with sand and changed about 85% of the water. I let it sit for a few days and left the old filter pad in the filter until they came in. Tuesday they came in, and Thursday I got a Master test kit. And checked my levels. Ammonia was around .25, Nitrites were between the first two colors, and my Nitrates were between 20-40. Tank temp is 70F. This weekend I checked my levels, I have no Nitrites, and my Ammonia was at a 2! I did a 25% water change, then the next day tested again, it was still high so I did about a 50% water change, took out all of the tank plants hides etc. got all the uneaten food out and tested again, it went back down under .50. I think that I reset my tank when I changed the gravel. I am really worried about my little guys. Do you think they would be okay to stay in while it re cycles? Or should I take them out and put them in a tote until I get the ammonia under control?

Donna001

Reaction score
It may be easier to put your axolotls into smaller containers with 100% daily dechlorinated water changes while your main tank cycles. This will ensure that your axolotls are not exposed to the toxins, and also that you will not have to to large water changes in your main tank, which will slow down the cycle.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.

Caesar

Reaction score
I got my Axolotls last Tuesday. The weekend before I took the gravel out of my tank to replace it with sand and changed about 85% of the water. I let it sit for a few days and left the old filter pad in the filter until they came in. Tuesday they came in, and Thursday I got a Master test kit. And checked my levels. Ammonia was around .25, Nitrites were between the first two colors, and my Nitrates were between 20-40. Tank temp is 70F. This weekend I checked my levels, I have no Nitrites, and my Ammonia was at a 2! I did a 25% water change, then the next day tested again, it was still high so I did about a 50% water change, took out all of the tank plants hides etc. got all the uneaten food out and tested again, it went back down under .50. I think that I reset my tank when I changed the gravel. I am really worried about my little guys. Do you think they would be okay to stay in while it re cycles? Or should I take them out and put them in a tote until I get the ammonia under control?

Leave your ornaments in because they may already have beneficial bacteria growing on them! (I don't know if you took them out completely, or just to take out the food)

Savvy1985

Reaction score
It took my tank a month to cycle and rid itself of the ammonia issues. Be patient, don't do water changes or remove anything out of the tank. Just let the filter run as check daily. Its a long process, but eventually it will sort itself out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!