The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 6th September 2016   #1
SBuckley

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SBuckley is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face New to forum and need filter help

I an a new owner of a small axolotl. I currently have a tetra whisper HOB filter but it doesnt seem as if the axolotl like its. He hides in the corners of the tank. I have also purchased a Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Power Filter and a Tetra In Tank Filter. Im wondering if one of these are a better option. I have black aquarium sand as a substrate that was thoroughly washed for over 35mins and the water is cloudy. Please help! I just want to make a nice,comfortable home for him.

SBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016   #2
Cliff
(Canecorsonewt)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: New to forum and need filter help

They don't like water current so if you see plants moving or he can't sit still without moving from the current its to powerful. Block current with rocks,decorations, plants extra or us a sponge filter. Your water is probably cloudy from the sand it can take days and lots of water changes to clear it up. If sand came with clumping addictive it helped me . Is your aquarium cycled thats important to?

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016   #3
Holly12

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge

If the water is cloudy from the sand, I'm guessing the filter and tank haven't cycled? This is really important to do before you get your axie so it doesn't die.

Old 8th September 2016   #4
NYC Axolotl
(tipnatee)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

Problem Water cloudy very fine sponge filter can help, you can also use water clarifier, but new filter need cycling and growing more good bacteria to handle all that cloudy water on their own. Low current will also help your axolotl moving around . If you have nothing to block your water current then just move your bubblur underneath where the water coming Down the air bubbles will help cancel strong water pressure ( bubble push water up against the strong water flow)

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote