Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible first time fungus? Please help.

t0risaur

Reaction score
My axie's gill is turning white on one of the tips, and it looks almost dead? He lives alone, and he's in a tank with the same decorations that he's had for over a year. It looks like there may be a teeny bit of cloudy goop following that gill but i thought it was just some dirt? I cant seem to get a focused pic of it.. it looks way worse up close. IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

CPL

Reaction score
I have had a similar thing happen when my axolotl had a bit of fungus. It seems like they cut off the blood supply to the area to get rid of the fungus. Don't know what other people think about this theory. On the couple of occasions she has had a small bit of fungus it resolved itself & I have never done salt baths, the gill has gone like you described & then gone back to normal. I think that a healthy axolotl in a clean tank can get rid of minor fungus itself by by doing this. Did you see anything that could look like fungus?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

t0risaur

Reaction score
I saw a teeny bit of white cloudy substance by it but theres so little of it I can't even get a good look at it. I thought it was just some dirt caught in his slime coat. I'll keep a close eye and make sure the tank is in good condition. Hopefully it will just go away. Thank you!!

aliya23kk

Reaction score
I'd give it a salt bath to get rid of it just in case it could be worse. Better to be safe than sorry.

Felixtacat

Reaction score
I dunno. Salt baths can be really stressful. If it's just minor fungus a healthy axolotl should not have much trouble getting rid of it by itself if you try to keep the water extra clean and cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aliya23kk

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes my axolotl has perfect conditions(water ect.)and the fungus gets worse. It really depends on the axolotl, mine doesn't get stress from being transfer into the baths and stuff but some do.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Fungus can be brought in from other sort than the bad water . Fungus has spores so to kill fungus problem in tank best option would be Indian almond leaf , or Indian almond leaf extract ( for less brown coloring water) . Salt bath can quickly get rid of the problem you can see with your naked eyes on the axolotl body. However if it just the white tip without fuzzy hairy cottony looking spot or otherwise . It could also mean your water is too soft .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!