Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PLEASE HELP ! my axolotl hasn't been eating the last few days

KaylaNtogepi

Reaction score
Okay so my golden albino axolotl hasn't seemed interest in food the last few days . i feed him earthworms i have tried feeding them whole and cut up but he still won't seem to eat them . Im unsure if he just doesn't like them or if they are too squirmy and it freaks him out . I also have aquatic sand as my substrate and every time he bite into something from the ground he ends up spitting it out with a whole bunch of sand could that be why he hasn't been eating ? he is 7 1/2 inches long and people tell me they have fed their 5 in Aries full earthworms . should i try frozen blood worms and if there are any other good alternatives what should i try?

Jilldavidson

Reaction score
I have always just fed mine frozen bloodworms. They come in cubes. I also feed them fish that has been frozen and I just cut off small pieces. I always feed them by hand. So as soon as I put my hand in the tank they know it's feeding time. I have also given them baby earth worms after it rains they come out of the grass and I save them! Tonight I tried dehydrated river shrimp that I rehydrated. They ate it but I could tell it wasn't their favorite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1