The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 22nd November 2016   #1
nadine011

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: nadine011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl broken leg

Hello there

I recently bought an Axolotel and when I put him in the tank I saw that one of his leg was in a weird position I believe it's broken but I'm not sure about this. He's swimming normally just the leg is really twisted and is somehow sticking out. I read online that I have to cut it of since its regenerating but I also read that sometimes it goes away I'm a bit worried and if someone with more experience than I have could tell me what to do.. That would be great
Thanks a lot

nadine011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016   #2
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotel broken leg

Can you post a picture?

It sounds to me that someone has given you an Axolotl with a limb that was previously damaged but has regenerated at the wrong angle (often back to front). This is not much of an issue, the Axolotl will adapt and continue to function as normal.

Otherwise it may have damaged the limb and has managed to break and twist it. If this is the case the lower part of the limb will likely die off and regrow.

Old 22nd November 2016   #3
nadine011

Nationality:

Yes sure there is the link

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 22nd November 2016   #4
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Yes the limb has re grown in the wrong direction. Nothing to worry about. Though the previous owner clearly falsely advertised it, failing to mention the defect.

Old 22nd November 2016   #5
nadine011

Nationality:

oh okay and will it be normal again or will it stay like this? It is not in pain or something?

Old 22nd November 2016   #6
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Axolotls have the ability to regrow limbs, and other parts of their anatomy. Quite often the limb will not regrow identical to the original. It won't be in pain, the limb is just facing the wrong way and won't have as much functionality as it would normally, but it will still live a normal life

Old 25th November 2016   #7
Holly12

Nationality:
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge

Someone else on here had an axies leg regrow but turned inward. It was fine.

Mine had a broken and useless leg when I got him. It flopped or stuck to his side and it has healed up perfectly. It's crazy how these guys heal! Mine is currently regrowing the skin on its toes! (I didn't realize the sand I was using was really abrasive.)