Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Misinformed father neglecting my axies

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
Alright, here's the story. I have two axies in a cramped tank that was supposed to be temporary, but my dad is refusing to upgrade.
I have a 16 gallon and I wish to go up to a 45 gallon or so, but my dad is so stubborn. He is one of those people who think they will stay tiny forever, i.e. "They only grow to their tank". I try to explain to him that no, that isn't true, but he still believes everything the store tells him.

So, how do I get it into his head that he's being a complete moron?

Another quick issue: He refuses to get a new filter cartridge. It's supposed to be replaced monthly, but he says "That's how the companies get you to buy things, it's good for 3 months". He even turned it on before a vacation, causing dirty water to go into their tank causing unnecessary stress for my axies.

auntiejude

Reaction score
He's right about the filter cartridge - when you replace it you lose all the good bacteria.

But axies are amphibians, not fish, and they will grow according to what their genes tell them to. 16gal is not big enough for one adult, let alone 2. the minimum tank size for 2 is 30 gal, but a 45 is better.

Try showing him the info on axolotl.org - considered to be the best resource on the net.

onyx2011

Reaction score
Just stand your ground and slowly show him more and more information. Also, try to find a free fish tank in your area(most people won't fight free!). You can usually find a free tank if you look hard enough, be it Craigslist or some cousin's friend's aunt's husband's boss's attic. Just ask around! Fish tanks are really common for people to have lying around in storage because it's a hobby that is 1) expensive and 2) easy to give up on. People will not want to throw away said equipment, but seeing a friend take it to use it instead of it continuing to take up space would be better. 10 gallons and 55 gallons are the most common tanks purchased, so you might be able to find a bigger upgrade than originally planned! Another tactic I occasionally use is go on errands with parents, and suggest going into a pawn shop or second hand store. Fish tanks can be found there cheap, but they're usually snatched up really quickly! The only problem with the pawn shop tactic is that you can't ask about the tank history.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
Good news!

So, I found out my favorite aquarium store sells used tanks for dirt cheap! I told him your suggestions, and he's open to the idea once I finish remodeling my room (he doesn't like multitasking). There is a 55 gal. I'm looking at for 30 dollars not including a hood or stand. I can easily get a hood so that's set. I have experience in woodworking, and my family is full of carpenters. So as long as I build a working stand that will support the weight of the tank, I'm allowed to purchase it. Thanks for helping me with this!

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 92

Holly12

Reaction score
Re: Good news!

I never change my filter media unless it's falling apart.... I only rinse it in dirty water change water. You get rid of the cycle bacteria when you change it.

As for the tank size. He's completely wrong and it's animal cruelty. When people "stunt" fish, their body stops growing but their organs keep growing and they die a very painful death. Axies are going to get big, regardless of the tank size. I have an 8.5 inch axie in a 20 gallon long and I can't imagine 2 in a 16.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Can you involve dad in a positive way as it sounds like he's having a finger wagged at him after all he could always say you can't keep them. Maybe you could get him his very own lotl and you could learn and grow together.

Nina Willis

Reaction score
Try a sponge filter. All you have to do with them is rinse, so there is no expensive cartrages to buy and replace.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1