Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not eating

kumamon

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for a couple of months now and until today I though I was looking after him well. Axel usually has a big appetite and always eats when he is given food. I feed him 3 to 4 axolotl pellets and sometimes garden worms daily, but today he only looks at the food and doesn't touch it at all! I'm really worried.

Axel is (I think) just under a year old and is about 11cm (4inches) big. He is in a 10 gallon tank (but I might be getting a 20 gallon to give him more space and a possible friend soon). The tank is a sand bottom and has live plants. I think the filter is a sponge filter but I'm not 100% sure.

Yesterday I did my weekly water test and found that nitrites were on the high side - all other levels are perfect. I did a 30% water change directly after checking. Could this be the problem? Today nitrites are still a little high and I'm have no idea how to fix the issue...

Also,
Here is Australia it is very hot but Axel was raised in slightly warmer water than normal axolotls - don't worry I still chill his tank, it's just a couple degrees higher than a normal tank should be (the people who sold him to me said this) is it possible I was told incorrect information. I haven't changed the temperature because I don't think it has anything to do with that him not eating... I'm so worried, I don't want my little buddy to be sick.

I might be overreacting but I really don't want him to be sick....
please help!! - kumamon

Holly12

Reaction score
1. Do not get him a friend if they are going to live in a 20 gallon. The minimum size for 2 axies is 30 gallons but 45 gallons is better.
2. Has your tand been cycled? If not, this could be the nitrite problem.
3. Axies need to be in 16 to 18 degree water. Anything 22 degrees and up will stress them. In the worst heat of summer, my tank hit 21.5 and my guy seemed ok but I wouldn't want it any higher. It's winter here now and he's thrilled with his 13 to 15 degree water.
4. At a year, he should be 10 to 12 inches. And one axie needs at least a 20 gallon. Are you sure of the age?

kumamon

Reaction score
1. Do not get him a friend if they are going to live in a 20 gallon. The minimum size for 2 axies is 30 gallons but 45 gallons is better.
2. Has your tand been cycled? If not, this could be the nitrite problem.
3. Axies need to be in 16 to 18 degree water. Anything 22 degrees and up will stress them. In the worst heat of summer, my tank hit 21.5 and my guy seemed ok but I wouldn't want it any higher. It's winter here now and he's thrilled with his 13 to 15 degree water.
4. At a year, he should be 10 to 12 inches. And one axie needs at least a 20 gallon. Are you sure of the age?

Thank you so much for replying! I'm most definitely wrong about his age then. I Have cycled the tank and had it checked by the aquarium place I bough him from to make sure the tank was ready for him. I will try my best to lower his temp down to 18 degrees to see if he gets his appetite back. Once he gets a little bigger I will definitely get the larger tanks for him. Do you have any suggestions on lowering the nitrite levels?? Thank you again!

kumamon

Reaction score
Another thing I've noticed is that he swims to the top of the tank to gulp for air. I know this is normal but he does it every 5 to 10 mins. Could this possibly in anyway have something to do with his lack of interest in food?? Tomorrow I'm going to buy an airstone just in case there isn't enough oxygen in the tank.

I feel like I'm doing so much stuff wrong :eek:

Skudo09

Reaction score
What is the exact temperature and the level of nitrite? The presence of nitrite in your tank suggests your tank is in the process of establishing a cycle but is not completely cycled. Never trust results from aquarium shops as they often will say water is ok when it is not. If you don't have a liquid test kit, make sure you get the actual readings and read up on the cycling process so you have a good understanding on how to interpret the results. It is best to have your own liquid test kit. Don't bother with strips as they tend to be inaccurate. I wouldn't panic about him not eating for one day. But do get the water quality under control as it certainly may contribute to him being stressed and not eating. You will need to do frequent water changes to keep the nitrite at a safe level (no higher than 0.25ppm) until the tank is completely cycled again. A cycled tank will read 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and some level of nitrate (best to keep nitrate below 40ppm). The frequent gulping could be a sign of stress and related to water quality issues.

Holly12

Reaction score
My guy eats e erythromycin few days, but he's 8.5 inches long and his water is between 14 and 16 degrees because of winter. He's just not digesting fast enough to want food every day.

Yvonneh

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with one of my axolotyls. Since i moved her to a bigger tank she barely eats. Not sure if i should put her back in the other tank or not. Its almost like she's depressed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!