Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from northern California and looking for Axolotls

ashtree

Reaction score
Greetings! :D

I am new to Caudata and am very excited to be part of an online community so full of information and passionate people. I live in Humboldt County and am hoping to find a couple albino axolotls babies to call my own. I am willing to drive out of state to find some, preferably between southern Oregon to Portland. If I were to find someone willing to ship, that would be awesome too!

I look forward to learning more on this site and thank you all for creating such an amazing resource!

P.S. I know axolotls are illegal in California... I'm currently trying to find more information on obtaining a permit in California. From what I understand, the laws have been put into place to protect native species from hybirdizing with introduced axolotls. I have no intent of releasing axolotls, am responsible enough to contain them and love them enough to deal with the consequences.

Last edited:

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I guess that the regulation in the US are understandable, but it is so unfortunate for those who are interested in axolotls and other fascinating creatures.
I didn't realise that you could apply for a permit, best of luck with that and please let us know how you get on.

Stelle

Reaction score
Can you obtain a permit? I too live in California and would love to have axolotls :/ unfortunately can't get one cause of this law! :(:(:(:( did you get any info?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!