The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 1st February 2017   #1
Stevieleigh

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Stevieleigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food and filter advice

Hi there, so first of all can any one tell me best brand/make of filters please?
Secondly, my two axolotl are fed on an earth worm diet only, they're a good weight but towards the end of the worm stock start passing diarrhoea type faeces (I'm guessing it's because the worms are on their way out but if you guys think different let me know!) So I need a second diet to feed them. They've had live food since I've had them (November '16) so I'm a little wary that they might not be interested in pellets.. so I'd like some opinions on that please! If pellets are a good idea.. which ones are the best?
Thanks! Stevie-Leigh

Stevieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017   #2
Darfin

Nationality:
Rep: Darfin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food and filter advice

I use an external canister filter however I've heard good things about sumps. the ehime pro 4+ 250 is what I have and it is doing fantastic for my little dude, just make sure you keep it at a low setting so it doesn't cause too much of a current. I feed my guy a mix of pellet food and frozen brine shrimp. He loves the pellets but make sure you get the soft sinking ones or they cold expand in his gut. I think the pellets are the best option as they are custom made to be the perfect food for axolotls but you should still make sure too mix up the meal every once in a while so they don't get dependent or picky. That stuff coming from the worm is probably just guts getting smooshed out its rear as its being eaten. I'm not sure but if you really want to be safe about keeping the tank clean you could probably gently squeeze the feces out before you feed your axi.

Darfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017   #3
AxolotlsForever

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlsForever is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Darfin for the advice. Do you have an exact brand or type of pellet (if you can post a link). I've heard a lot about these sinking pellets especially designed for Axolotls. I have two juvenile Axolotls but I've tried shrimp pellets they do sink but they crumble apart quick and my little guys won't eat pellets yet. I'm still hand feeding them blood worms because unless it's right in front of their face they won't eat it or find it even if it's a cm away from them in the tank.

AxolotlsForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017   #4
Stevieleigh

Nationality:
Rep: Stevieleigh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Darfin, I meant my axolotl are passing the diarrhoea not the worms. I will research some pellets going off your advice :) cheers!

Stevieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017   #5
Darfin

Nationality:
Rep: Darfin is an unknown quantity at this point

Here ya go:

Axolotl Food Soft Moist Sinking Pellets for Axolotls Free Shipping | eBay

Darfin is offline   Reply With Quote