Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food and filter advice

Stevieleigh

Reaction score
Hi there, so first of all can any one tell me best brand/make of filters please?
Secondly, my two axolotl are fed on an earth worm diet only, they're a good weight but towards the end of the worm stock start passing diarrhoea type faeces (I'm guessing it's because the worms are on their way out but if you guys think different let me know!) So I need a second diet to feed them. They've had live food since I've had them (November '16) so I'm a little wary that they might not be interested in pellets.. so I'd like some opinions on that please! If pellets are a good idea.. which ones are the best?
Thanks! Stevie-Leigh

Darfin

Reaction score
I use an external canister filter however I've heard good things about sumps. the ehime pro 4+ 250 is what I have and it is doing fantastic for my little dude, just make sure you keep it at a low setting so it doesn't cause too much of a current. I feed my guy a mix of pellet food and frozen brine shrimp. He loves the pellets but make sure you get the soft sinking ones or they cold expand in his gut. I think the pellets are the best option as they are custom made to be the perfect food for axolotls but you should still make sure too mix up the meal every once in a while so they don't get dependent or picky. That stuff coming from the worm is probably just guts getting smooshed out its rear as its being eaten. I'm not sure but if you really want to be safe about keeping the tank clean you could probably gently squeeze the feces out before you feed your axi. :eek:

AxolotlsForever

Reaction score
Thanks Darfin for the advice. Do you have an exact brand or type of pellet (if you can post a link). I've heard a lot about these sinking pellets especially designed for Axolotls. I have two juvenile Axolotls but I've tried shrimp pellets they do sink but they crumble apart quick and my little guys won't eat pellets yet. I'm still hand feeding them blood worms because unless it's right in front of their face they won't eat it or find it even if it's a cm away from them in the tank.

Stevieleigh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Darfin, I meant my axolotl are passing the diarrhoea not the worms. I will research some pellets going off your advice :) cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1