The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 3rd February 2017   #1
moonie goonie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: moonie goonie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New axolotl not eating

Hi, I got a new axolotl, Kirby, two days ago. I have a 45 gallon tank and I put him in it. Is that too big? It's bare bottom, the temperature is right at 60-64 degrees. He has plenty of hides. I've checked his water and all levels are good. I have bloodworms for him and he hasn't eaten. Either he has and a very small amount and I haven't noticed or he just isn't at all. Any suggestions? Just a nervous new axie mom. Should I put him in something smaller? He's only about 2 1/2-3 inches long right now. Any suggestions? I don't have a filter in with him right now, but have been siphoning out uneaten food and waste and putting in new clean water. Any advice would be GREAT! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	49420  

moonie goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017   #2
Crystal
(Wysper)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wysper has shown reliable knowledgeWysper has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: New axolotl not eating

How are you feeding him? Just dropped food in and letting it go all over the tank?

With him being so small still, in such a large area, you may want to put his food in a centralized location. A small dish, a plate, a bowl, a jar, etc. Something that he can go to specifically to find the food.

**If you like what I have to say, increase my rep!**
Wysper is offline   Reply With Quote