Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heyyo!

General

Reaction score
My Questions

Heyo, My name is Sam, I will be getting a newt soon, named General. As you see I do not have my picture as a newt, because I have not got one yet, I am really wondering what to get first, so can you reply to me, about what I need for starters, I have a few questions that I really need to be answered. c:

1: Do I need a filter?

2: Do I use gravel or something?

3: Where is a good place that sells live newts?

4: What size tank is the best for 1 newt? (Planning on not getting bigger than 10 gal.)

5: Do I need moss included in the tank?

6: How often would I do check up cleans?

7: How often would I clean the whole tank?

------------------------------------------------------

I know these are a lot of dumb questions, but I am really wondering about these things. :p

Cloppy

Reaction score
What species of newt are you getting? in the meantime, check out caudata culture care articles. if you are getting an adult aquatic newt you will need gravel and a filter.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1: Do I need a filter? Many of us don't use filters. I don't.

2: Do I use gravel or something? Not if you are getting an axie.

3: Where is a good place that sells live newts? That's been more difficult since the ban. Not easy in your state either. Watch the ads, and watch for eggs, this is the beginning of laying season.

4: What size tank is the best for 1 newt? (Planning on not getting bigger than 10 gal.) Well that answers your question. Not good for an axie, but probably for other newts.

5: Do I need moss included in the tank? depends on the species. If aquatic, no.

6: How often would I do check up cleans? I would check the tank daily and clean out any poop, and break down a terrestrial tank every 4 months and an aquatic tank, regular water changes.

7: How often would I clean the whole tank? see last answer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1