Cheap ways to keep axolotl tank cool

Salina

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi!

so i live in Australia and it's currently summer, i'm kind of having a hard time keeping my tank cool and the temp right now in the tank is early 20s which i know isn't exactly ideal. Do you guys have any cheap ways of keeping the tank cool? I do have a little desk fan pointing into the water by the way.

Fans over the water can help a little. You can also try to insulate the outside of the tank. Ice bottles are often used and it is a good idea to use dechlorinated water if using this method. However, ice bottles tend to melt fairly quickly and if not replaced often and regularly, the temperature fluctuations can cause more stress than a constant slightly high temperature. Ultimately, the best method is to invest in a chiller but I can understand they are expensive. Keeping them away from windows and direct sunlight and if you can try and open windows when it is cool to help let some cool air in whenever possible. Place the tank in the coolest part of the house.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back