Barred Salamander waterdog possible fungal infection? (URGENT)

Jaxl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I feel like this could be bad soon...

2cdf550af6d8fe9beb6db7bb98d05d81.jpg
c227865a1cf00498d023c0b6ee834f63.jpg
This morning, I noticed my juvenile Barred Salamander had multiple white patches on his face, chin, gills, and left hand.

It's now later the same day, and there are now white patches on his face, chin, gills, legs, and arms. There are also now small white dots on his torso section and tail fin.

I'm worried this could be a possible fungal infection! I seriously think I've been doing everything right though... diet of nightcrawlers, daily water cleaning (20-30%) and spot cleaning daily.

Some help ASAP would be greatly appreciated, because I don't want to risk losing my cutie. ❤ Thanks!

[pics are from this morning, very blurry]

I dont know if it is the same thing i am thinking of but some mudpuppies have it and its fatal it says it here How to keep your new mud puppy, Nekturus maculosus, with pictures Good luck!

It is worth noting that the info Otterwoman posted is highly helpful in this situation, as it shows how to treat/identify fungal infections. The link provided (Aqualandpetsplus) has arguably the least helpful care articles on the web, if not the most. They recommend mixed species enclosures, constant handling of White's tree-frogs, gravel substrate, ect. Here's a "real" care-sheet of the "waterdog" (Larva Ambystoma mavitorium/tigrinium/other tiger salamander subspecies:)

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

We did multiple salt bath treatments over the course of a couple weeks, and he is now a healthy salamander in his terrestrial enclosure! :) Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Congratulations! Now the real fun in my opinion begins...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back