Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi I joined because I need help

Lawdlees

Reaction score
Hi I joined here because I would like some advice. I've had my pair of axolotls for a while now and I really enjoy keeping them. Today I looked into my tank to see that one of my axies was lying on the bottom of the tank with 3 legs missing, I can only believe that my other axie is responsible. I originally thought he was dead so as I pulled him out of the water he began opening and closing his mouth indicating that he is still alive but he doesn't seem to be doing well and I don't know what to do to help.

Bekzaloltl

Reaction score
Hi,

Don't panic, they have a tendency to eat each others legs off when they are younger.

When this happened to mine (I have a pair - the male usually ate the female), I divided the tank to isolate the injured until it started healing and regrowing - and I would feed them more. They eventually grew out of this, but poor female lost up to three legs on one occasion and was of course looking very unhappy.

If either showed signs of being sick - any discolourations, fuzziness, bouyancy issues - Id put them in the fridge for a few hours to couple of days and they always got better.

There's lots of advice in other posts too if there are no more replies here, but yes don't worry too much and if the cannibalism continues Id suggest to separate them with some kind of barrier for a while and feed well :happy:

Cloppy

Reaction score
I would advice putting the hurt axie in a separate tank. If you keep on doing normal care, the hurt axolotl should be able to regenerate the 3 legs back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1