Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Curled Tail?

ASHEEANN

Reaction score
Hi! Im a new axolotl owner and I have had my baby for about a week now. He seemed fine minus trying to eat a worm that was a little too big. But lately he will hold his tail like this. Not all the time just sometimes. And I'm concerned it's either a bloated belly or the water temp. I went in this morning and it was like 56 degree Fahrenheit I turn our heat on in the apartment (for everyone's sake) I'm just concerned that the massive drop and the rise is hurting him. Any thoughts or suggestions?

P.S He is also eating and pooping just fine. And none of my water parameters seem alarming.

Attachments

• sb4.jpg
    sb4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 20170304_092225.jpg
    20170304_092225.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,569
  • 20170304_091722.jpg
    20170304_091722.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,467

Holly12

Reaction score
Use a dish to feed him on so he doesn't eat any sand. I had mine on sand as a baby. Usually stress curled tail is just the tip.

ASHEEANN

Reaction score
So should I do anything besides giving him a dish to eat out of or take the sand out?

Holly12

Reaction score
I left sand with mine. I just put his food on a little dish.

RG

Reaction score
Hello Asheeann

How is it possible that Axolotls become ill in an aquarium with plastic plants?
How can you obtain a reasonable water quality in the aquarium without any biological function?
The filter is able to generate improved water quality so that the effects of these deficiencies can be reduced?
If you cannot keep plants in your aquarium you must solve this with a good filtration system.
Beware of plastic, harmful chemical fumes in the water. Filter with carbon may be necessary.
Axolotls are easy to keep animals.
The only thing they ask is clean and healthy water. Otherwise they will get sick.

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
What you need to know is that is not a curled tail, the curling starts at the tip of the tail and in my experience is almost immediately followed by forward facing shrinking gills. If your axolotl is sick you will definitely know it. Your axolotl looks fine. How old is your little guy, he's adorable af

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1