Yellow poop? Not moving much!

Taylorcarey3

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

Brand new to axolotls and have had my little guy for about 3 days. He tends to always sit in the same spot and he doesn't move. This always makes me think he's dead and stresses me out a bit. Also his poop seems to be yellow? When I brought him home the bag he was in was empty and then suddenly a solid yellow thing appeared. Also been finding a more discintigrated yellow stuff around the tank? He won't eat earth worms and has been only eating the pellets that I was reccomended to feed him. I'm so worried, any advice? I also don't think he's stressed out..... he sits under the filter sometimes and tail doenst look curved?

回复: Yellow poop? Not moving much!

Check the water parameters just to make sure theres nothing wrong (the correct levels are ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 20-40ppm). If thats clear then he's probably fine, likely just new parent nerves!

Axolotls are pretty sedentary animals but you can help him be a bit more active by providing him with a stimulating environment (lots of levels, plants to climb in, mangrove root-type decorations to crawl through, etc.) and coaxing him to eat live food like you're doing. There's nothing wrong with an axolotl eating pellets but I really believe that its important for animals in captivity to eat live food where possible. As he's only eaten pellets his whole life he probably doesn't even recognise worms (mine had only eaten bloodworm cubes but very quickly turned onto live earthworms) so you can keep trying, or if you want to try not feeding him for a couple of days and then presenting him with a worm, it won't do him any harm at all.

P.S. A common mistake in looking for stress symptoms (which I made myself) is to look for a curved tail. When websites refer to a curved tail they actually mean only the very tip of the tail, not the whole thing. If the whole tail is curved that is absolutely fine.

Thank you!!
He seems to be moving much more and he's doing well. However I still can't get it to eat worms! When a worm is put in front of him he appeared startled and splashes and tries to jump out of the tank. Any other worm feeding suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back