Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt hibernation

Boris1234

Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody provide information on when newts hibernate ? I have found ifnormationnthey normally come out of hibernation in Feb/Mar time once the hardest frosts have finished is that right ?

Also has anybody any information around disturbance of habitat due to building work and relandscaping of a habitat ? E.g. Building a man made pond in place of wetland area ?

Many thanks

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as hibernation, you would have to read an account of the specific newts. They each have their own ways of doing things. And the area. Different areas warm up at different times.

The habitat question is interesting and I have wondered about that myself. I hope someone that studies these things can weigh in!

Kashmiir

Reaction score
As someone who has a pond with two species of newts inhabiting it (T cristatus and L vulgaris) I can tell you that it is very hard to say when they 'emerge'. It depends on the weather greatly. This year we had quite an early and warm spring, there were both Great Crested Newts and Smooth Newts in full breeding dress by February, although their aquatic activity peaks at April/May. Id say as soon as night temperatures are staying above 4/5 degrees C they will appear.

But it does depend on water depth of their breeding ponds and the species. In larger and deeper ponds (3foot or more) they will sometimes overwinter in the pond whilst my small and shallow pond would not be suitable.

As for when they go into hibernation that is even more difficult to say. When temperatures are falling below about 5 degrees at night they seem to disappear but in mild spells inbetween they can still be active.
Im assuming youre planning to reinstall a pond? I would recommend doing it in late autumn (Octoberish) depending on the climate in your area as most of the newt larvae will have metamorphosised and the adults would largely have becone terrestrial, but would not yet be hibernating. I had to fully clean out my pond last year in April (which i would not do except out of necessity) because it became polluted for some reason but the newts did come back and reproduce although i dont think as successfully as prior years.

Hope this helps although by no means am I a professional or anything!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!