The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Old 27th March 2018   #1
chaimdov

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: chaimdov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Neotonic Alpines

I bred a few hundred alpines this year and a half dozen did not morph. The males started cresting and the females looked gravid so I put them in a separate tank and sure enough they produced eggs which have started hatching. I was wondering if anyone else is raising a neotonic strain of Alpines and would be willing to swap eggs so I can diversify the gene pool. Thanks.

chaimdov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018   #2
chaimdov

Nationality:
Rep: chaimdov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Neotonic Alpines

Update is that the babies from two neotonic parents grew much faster than any other Alpines I have. And then some (about 10) started morphing, much smaller than usual. Anyone have any ideas?

chaimdov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018   #3
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Neotonic Alpines

I've raised a few Apuanas that stayed neotenic. All were incidentally females. Its pretty common with certain Alpine sub species (Apuanas included) and some entire populations are neotenic. I've never noticed differences with their offspring, I do have much larger morphs (and usually more neotenic ones) when I have fewer together in deeper, cooler set ups. Whenever I try to raise them in tubs like I do Triturus they morph small.

otolith is online now   Reply With Quote