Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spots on Whites Tree Frog

sherie

Reaction score
Hi all!
I recently took in a WTF, 3 year old female, and have noticed these spots coming and going in various areas on her body. She had some when I first got her and, when she turns green they aren't visible, but they seem to be multiplying. I thought that they were a coloration that was coming and going due to her mood and such however, I have had a couple people suggest that it may be fungus. The spots are bright green and smooth. They aren't fuzzy or raised. While she hasn't eaten in a few days she did take down a couple of hornworms without issue last week.

I have been keeping her in an Exoterra 18x18x24. Basking temp was set on a thermostat for 82 degrees during the day and then drops to room temp over night. Humidity ranges between 35-60% depending on the misting cycle. The unit is misted twice a day - once at 9pm and again at 7am. There is a small computer fan running for airflow. The unit is bio-active with live plants. Her water dish is changed daily with tap water that is dechlorinated using Reptisafe. Feeders are gutloaded and dusted with Repashy Calcium Plus . Lights and heat are on a 12 hour cycle.

Here are some photos for reference. These have been taken over the last 2 weeks, since coming into my care. You can see how the numbers come and go.

I have moved her into a sterile unit with temps at 84 degrees and humidity stable at 30%. I have been giving her a soak in diluted Melafix as suggested by those who think she has a fungus.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the spots and treatment. It has been suggested that the spots may simply be her coloration changes.

Attachments

• IMG_7508.jpg
    IMG_7508.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4,066
  • IMG_7450.jpg
    IMG_7450.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4,620
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 7,239

Mana

Reaction score
Hello there!
I have a 6 year old whites tree frog and I took her to a vet when I first got her for the same thing. The vet told me it was just a natural change in her colors and nothing to worry about. She used to get them frequently and they would go away after a while, now that shes older she doesnt get them so much anymore, but I still see them once in a while. If they are a type of fungal or bacterial infection they havent affected her health or appetite all this time. I am by no means an expert and the vet I took her to takes care of "exotics" but not reptiles and amphibians specifically. I would wait and see if somebody with more experience comments for a second opinion. It would be nice to know if maybe I should be doing something more for mine or not too.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think that's natural, I've seen a lot of photos with White's tree-frogs with similar colors, and it seems to be something that can come and go when they change color, similar to how some American green tree-frogs I've seen that have yellow flecks on them :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1