Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma mavortium and Ambystoma mavortium diaboli?

Shadiela

Reaction score
Since I've gotten my 2 Tiger Salamanders I've been researching why they look so different from the typical pictures I've seen of Ambystoma tigrinum. It was then I learned of the other subspecies, and I think I have a Barred and Gray Tiger Salamander, but I would like to know other opinions.

Attachments

• DSCN2252.jpg
    DSCN2252.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 908

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
I'm no Tiger sal expert, but positive subspecies identification without knowing where the animals were collected is very problematic. Hopefully someone more familiar with them will give you their best guess.

Shadiela

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately they were just under a sign that said Tiger Salamander with 3 very different looking individuals. I picked one and my fiance picked the other, and we got some care advice from one of the workers, but where they came from is unknown.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Tiger salamander taxonomy is in a state of transition and uncertainty. What were once considered subspecies of tigrinum are now assigned to mavortium. The geographical lines between the subspecies are uncertain, and with the high variability of these animals, determining subspecies on appearance alone will be difficult and imprecise.
I think all anybody can do from this end is take a guess, so here's mine- I think that they're both A. m. mavortium. Although the specimen on the right has very little black, I don't think diaboli are known to be that yellow. All the specimens (or photos) that I have seen are gray or maybe olive colored.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!