New Home for Salamander

LisaRotcorp

Reaction score
Country
United States
So happy my Salamander decided to live on land!!! I have just moved him into his large box. (Tote with a locking lid, with air holes ) As I imagined he would do, he ran around it like mad for about 20 seconds then dove under the log and is hiding. All the material in this box (aside from the water dish) came from the very woods I found this little guy in, moss, a couple sticks and stones, and the log was even right next to the pond I found him in. I hope he likes it, I have kept it misted to keep it damp, I let the water sit out to dechlorinate before I mist with it. There are also several worms in there of various sizes, and I have plenty more on hand if he ever comes out and decides he wants to visit. I've never had a salamander or any other critter like this before. Any suggestions?
Since he is hiding in his new home, I put pictures of him in his old home....crib? lol

Attachments

• SalOldHome.jpg
    SalOldHome.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 155
  • SalOldHome2.jpg
    SalOldHome2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 130
  • SalHome2.jpg
    SalHome2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 115
Did you find this guy in Michigan? He looks like a hybrid of some sort. But I would use a dechlorinator in the water just to be sure and they're fairly cheap at pet stores. I'd also recommend some kind of dirt and coco fiber fix for the salamander to dig in since it looks like a "mole" salamander. Just means they're the type that like to dig in a few inches of substrate. Congrats tho!

Indeed. The moss has about 4 inches of dirt in it, He has tunneled his way into it for sure. I rarely ever see him anymore haha. He is always dug down into the dirt, every now n then he comes out to fiddle around then back down he goes.

Still very much alive and doing well. He(she?) eats like a horse (a worm loving horse) and has a slug as his best friend. I'm going to cut a fresh piece of moss for winter, and have a mini worm farm going as a food supply, may also purchase a few wax worms and crickets for variety's sake.

Attachments

• SalGrown1.jpg
    SalGrown1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 101
  • SalGrown2.jpg
    SalGrown2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 95
Make sure you don't put in more crickets than he will eat. If he doesn't eat them, they will bite his soft skin and kill him. Speaking from experience. I never use crickets anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back