Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl has little white spots...is my little one sick? What do I do?

axolotlowner83

Reaction score
Hi! So I'm a new axolotl owner and I've had my little friend for a few months now. A couple of weeks ago I though I noticed some white spots on my axie, though it just looked like it's ribs showing through. Last night however, I noticed that there are little white spots all over its face and neck! I can't tell what they are and I'm terrified that my Axie might have ick! I took in some water to get it tested and it's completely free of nitrites, ammonia, etc. pH levels are good too. I'm hoping that this is just a fungal infection but I'm just not sure. Can someone take a look for me and tell me what they think? Also how do I treat the problem? The only thing that I think could have caused a fungal infection would be a power outage I had last week which caused the tank to become around 4 degrees warmer than normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 530

Biev

Reaction score
The photo is a little blurry, but if it looks more like white freckles and it's not puffing up like a cotton ball, there's no need for a salt bath. They get these white skin lesions easily, whenever the temperature gets too high or water quality gets bad. Give him cool, clean water and he will be ok.

axolotlowner83

Reaction score
I changed his water yesterday and it looks like the spots have gotten better and the majority of them are completely gone, so I think you may be right! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1