Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Peninsula Newt Larvae feeding HELP!

23matt3

Reaction score
After a short while of owning Peninsula to my surprise, after cleaning my aquarium and weeding out plants I have found a Peninsula newt larvae! Not sure how old he is as I accidentally stumbled upon him. I immediately took him out and he has his own little 2.5 gallon tank that is filled about 1/3 full. I have been doing water changes every day as well using the water from the adult newt tank as show in the pics.So far I have only found just the one and cannot find anymore. Not sure if they are good hiders as I have a jungle of a tank or they have been eaten.. I have ordered some Daphnia online and should arrive in the next couple days.. in the meantime is there anything else I can feed the larvae? I have read up on the care guides provided on here and have called around all my LFS's and they do not have any microfood immediately available. They can order it but that doesn't do me any good. Just curious if they can eat anything else in the meantime? Just worried that he will starve by the time the daphnia comes. I have attached a picture of the larvae (he/she is very hard to get a pic of- so sorry for the quality) and my tank so you can get an idea of my jungle lol

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
0910c8139657134de22d44560ba8dde7.jpg
5a52c88f2739a39f1e3b05dcd0cbfe7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23matt3

Reaction score
Already read the article- thanks, but the issue is I cannot find microfoods at my local fish store without ordering online.. I have already purchased daphnia online but it will take a few days to ship. The only thing I can get at my pet store is frozen blood worms and they don't seem to care for that. I was more curious if there is something else not listed on there that would do just to feed them till i get my order.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use blackworms, minced in the beginning and gradually working my way to not cutting at all, then I start the same process with nightcrawlers.

Thomas F

Reaction score
You can breed the nauplie of brine shrimps yourself. You can buy the "eggs" in many pet shops.

Cheers,
Thomas

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1