Question: Did my axi lay eggs?

Mackiot

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do axolotl eggs look like? And how old/big does an axolotl have to be to lay eggs? I've had my axie for about two weeks now and I came back from classes and was preparing to clean her tank when I noticed the floor was covered in little balls of all different sizes that were not there last night when I fed her. They are slightly cloudy clear balls with yellowish balls inside and I don't know if they are eggs or not. As far as I know she's never been with a male, but at the same time I didn't think they layed infertile eggs, I thought they were reabsorbed. I also thought eggs floated but im not sure. If they are eggs, how do i tell if they are fertile? I don't want to throw them out if they are. If they are not eggs, what are they, is she sick? Most of them are in her hide and they are somewhat hard to see. She eats just fine and is quite active. She is about 7/8 inches. I don't know if I'm prepared to take care of eggs if that's what they are, so help and suggestions is welcome.

I would post pictures but I can't get a good picture of them because the tank is so dark and I don't want to put light on her.

I'm going to hold off cleaning her tank for now, just in case.

I'm kind of nervious and hope I'm not doing anything wrong, I kind of feel bad if I am :(

So if they are eggs how can I tell if they are fertile? I wouldn't want to throw them out if they are. And do I put them in a separate tank? I really never planned on taking care of eggs so like I said I'm really not prepared ^^'

They won’t be fertile unless a male is in your tank probably- my girl has laid infertile eggs like that when she was by herself in the tank. If the dots in the center are white they would be some sort of albino- and black dots could be wild type.

They won’t be fertile unless a male is in your tank probably- my girl has laid infertile eggs like that when she was by herself in the tank. If the dots in the center are white they would be some sort of albino- and black dots could be wild type.
Incorrect, the colour of the eggs is dependent on the mother, not the embryo. Albino and copper females lay white eggs, all other lay eggs with a black embryo side and a white yolk side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back