Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl floating, visible veins and poor skin condition with foul smelling water.

EmJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been having trouble with my 9 year old axolotl on and off for the past couple of years but have never been able to get to the bottom of it. She is a leucistic and has visible veins showing all over he body and her gills have been in very poor condition for some time but with no obvious cause. The parameters in her tank are ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrates 10-20ppm, pH is 7.8 and GH is 8 degrees of hardness (German degrees). She lives in a 190 litre tank on her own. She had had a lump on her head for the last few years, right in front of her gill stalks. It has no different colouration and is smoooth, like a cyst.

The last week she would not stop floating at the top of her tank so I moved her into a hospital tank with just enough water to cover her. She has accepted some food but is mostly unresponive when the food is dropped (she doesnt really swipe for it). I am changing the water in the hospital tank everyday but when I go to change it the water smells really foul. Is this just as it is such a small quantity of water that has fouled up quickly or is it perhaps something else?

I'm thinking of moving her to the fridge as she hasnt really passed anything so I don't believe the floating issue has resolved. I was wondering if there may be another issue, perhaps a bacterial infection, that could be contributing to her symptoms. She has no signs of fungus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1