Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help on found salamander

awfulsweetness

Reaction score
Hello! Yesterday morning upon exiting my apartment (Long Island, NY) this little guy rolled under the door stop. He's no longer than the size of my pinky finger and is missing part of his tail. A friend of mine believes he is a Jefferson blue spot? Is this correct?

I have no knowledge of these animals but have become enamored. Is it better to release him back? I have no idea how he got here, the closest water source is at least a mile away! If it's okay to keep him - what do you recommend for a setup? And what do I feed him and how since he's so tiny?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 22414310_1880823308602066_603890550_n.jpg
    22414310_1880823308602066_603890550_n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 186

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I'd release it somewhere out of harms way, but close to where you found it. Wild caught salamanders are often difficult to acclimate to captivity, especially if you're new to keeping them.
Why not look at keeping a species that's captive bred if you have an interest in them, healthy salamanders that are used to captivity make fascinating, easy to keep pets. :)

MnGuy

Reaction score
I agree; releasing him is the best idea. Do it near where he was found. He does not need to be right next to a body of water. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1