Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hibernate

JayD3vo

Reaction score
Do salamanders hibernate? Asking because I haven’t seen my 2nd salamander out for the entire day:tongue:

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Yes, in cold weather, temperate species hibernate.
They also like to hide. I have salamanders that I may not see for days, or even weeks, at a time.

Blackbun

Reaction score
What species is it? Salamanders not only hibernate but some also aestivate if it’s too hot and dry. As with herpinman, some of my salamanders I don’t see from one month to another. Sometimes I rely on secondary clues to their health including poop in the water or trampled substrate. A thorough misting or even just.changing the water seems to get them out on an evening. I’ve come to associate certain species and certain individuals withn a species with a given behaviour and so I tend not to worry or feel the need to dig them up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1