The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 15th October 2017   #1
JayD3vo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JayD3vo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hibernate

Do salamanders hibernate? Asking because I havenít seen my 2nd salamander out for the entire day

JayD3vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017   #2
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has given good advice and informationHerpin Man has given good advice and information
Default Re: Hibernate

Yes, in cold weather, temperate species hibernate.
They also like to hide. I have salamanders that I may not see for days, or even weeks, at a time.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017   #3
Blackbun

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Hibernate

What species is it? Salamanders not only hibernate but some also aestivate if itís too hot and dry. As with herpinman, some of my salamanders I donít see from one month to another. Sometimes I rely on secondary clues to their health including poop in the water or trampled substrate. A thorough misting or even just.changing the water seems to get them out on an evening. Iíve come to associate certain species and certain individuals withn a species with a given behaviour and so I tend not to worry or feel the need to dig them up.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote