The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 28th October 2017   #1
Wyvell

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wyvell has shown reliable knowledge
Exclamation My tiger is morphing and has light grey spots on his face, bacteria or is this normal?

Hello all,
Toothless is well on his way to morphing now but a while ago I noticed light colored patches on his face and one on his Rami (gill stalks) I was worried this may be an infection so I have been treating him but now that I know he is a tiger salamander that is morphing and not an axolotl, Im not sure if these patches are normal. pictures below

Click the image to open in full size.

Wyvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017   #2
Cloppy
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledgeCloppy has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: My tiger is morphing and has light grey spots on his face, bacteria or is this normal?

For an unknown reason, I cannot open your image. But how large are these spots? Tigers do have grey spotting alot. Also the spots are usually circular and placed at a more or less same distance from each other.

Old 28th October 2017   #3
Wyvell

Nationality:
Default Re: My tiger is morphing and has light grey spots on his face, bacteria or is this normal?

Well, he has one over his mouth that doesn't really have a shape. It extends up over his nose. The on on his Gill looks a bit circular but his stomach is almost white. His feet are light colored too. I'm worried this may be a bacterial infection.

Old 28th October 2017   #4
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

If you right click on the link, the picture opens, but it is not very clear. Could you add some more photo's please ?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017   #5
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

from what I can see I would guess their is nothing wrong with it.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017   #6
Wyvell

Nationality:

Click the image to open in full size.

The picture I posted before was really warped for some reason so I cropped it. Maybe this one will be better
The light colored splotches around his mouth are what have me worried.

Old 29th October 2017   #7
Cloppy
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledgeCloppy has shown reliable knowledge

It might be fungus but I am not sure enough to say for sure, I would wait for more forum members that have more expertise to chime in on the issue.

Old 29th October 2017   #8
Wyvell

Nationality:

He still has a healthy appetite and his morphing continues to progress. I am doing large water changes daily because his water level has been lowered to accommodate his morphing process. he looks a bit better today. I will continue with salt baths. He is also a bit skinny (and has been since we got him) so I am feeding a mix of jumbo blood worms, red wigglers and wax worms. With an occasional addition of beefheart. He has gotten much stronger (particularly in his legs) but he still looks a bit slim. Any suggestions on what I can do to help him out?

Old 31st October 2017   #9
Wyvell

Nationality:

Ive been continuing with salt baths but handling him to do so has made me mildly ill. I must be sensitive to the toxins he is secreting

Old 31st October 2017   #10
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

His skin might just be changing in anticipation of a shed or his big change.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morphing issues, sick tiger salamander, tiger larvae