The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th November 2017   #1
Littlerats

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Littlerats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!!

I need help!

So this all started a few months ago,I did a water change and I came back an hour later to see 3 of my axolotls dead, bubbling at the skin and what appeared to be burns,I checked all the parameters and they were fine. I was stumped but carried on with raising the other babies. The next time I do a water change the same thing happens a baby dies. Now keep in mind I have two batches of eggs separated in 3 tubs and only one tub was being affected,so I thought maybe the tub is bad and chemicals are leaching into the water. So I moved them to tanks,haven't had a problem since today. I fed earthworms and did normal water changes and I come back to see two axolotls floating with bubbled skin and burns. Only two that were affected. I'm honestly stumped as to what is happening and I need help.

Littlerats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Help!!

That is weird. I hope someone has a theory.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017   #3
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry this is happening to you. I would contact your local municipality and ask about any special/different water treatments that may have occurred at those times. I recall seeing a fishkeeper's YouTube video about losing fish after a water change. He eventually discovered that the city had specifically treated the water for some reason.

Good luck.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017   #4
Littlerats

Nationality:
Rep: Littlerats is an unknown quantity at this point

I use well water,o there shouldn't be any chemicals,especially at this time of year. I'm thinking could have been gas bubble disease

Littlerats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017   #5
Anniebeth

Nationality:
Rep: Anniebeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe its something to do with the well water? Do you need to use tap safe? Maybe try a different water source? Good luck

Anniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017   #6
Eternie

Nationality:
Rep: Eternie is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldnt be using water such as Well or Tap water. Chemicals can easily be or get into those types of water,and can kill the Axies. I suggest if you have a Kroger near you to go get some Kroger Drinking Water, I find it is the best for them.

Eternie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl