Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aaaaayyyy. New newt keeper.

Nax

Reaction score
Hai guise!

I acquired a tiny Eastern red spotted newt eft a bit over a month ago, not realizing how much work they were. The little dude is still alive and now doing well, as far as I can tell.

Could it be doing better? Who knows. That's why I'm here :) The newt is currently in a 10gal tank with soil at the bottom and a few rocks and sticks in there to provide hiding places. The soil has 3 composting worms in it to clean stuff up if necessary.

Getting the newt to eat initially was...difficult/impossible. For about 3 weeks. I finally managed to get it to eat by holding mini bloodworms in front of its face with tweezers and attempting to wiggle the dead-frozen-and-thawed worms like they were alive. I still tweezer feed it thawed mini bloodworms, but now the newt always readily eats them. Progress!

I'll be asking more specific questions in other parts of the forums (especially re. feeding) but wanted to say hi.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These efts are notoriously difficult to raise- getting them to eat is one of the main challenges. You worked hard! I wish you continued success! You might try having small foods live in the tank? Fruit flies, springtails, small pill bugs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1