The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Old 1st December 2017   #1
Cheshiresbreak

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cheshiresbreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you feed your alpines?

Me and my partner are getting some apline newts here in the next week and were wondering what to feed them/ how often?

We were thinking about buying some live bloodworms but due to the concerns that they could carry disease if we just buy them from anywhere we're no longer so sure about that. Would blood worm pellets be a good substitution?

Cheshiresbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017   #2
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What do you feed your alpines?

Worms or nightcrawlers are the best staple food for pretty much all newts. I dig mine out of my garden beds and yard (I do not use herbicides or pesticides). Alpines are not generally fussy eaters, frozen bloodworms, black worms, earthworms, live brine shrimp, daphnia will probably all be accepted without any issue. I have been able to get adults to eat pellets too which makes things even easier. Red wigglers/Eisenia sp. (often sold as "trout worms") may be the only worm you may run into trouble with as they have a foul odor but even these can be accepted with time.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I feed mine minced nightcrawlers.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017   #4
Cheshiresbreak

Nationality:
Rep: Cheshiresbreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestions! Have either of you ever had any problems with worms that are store bought? Our biggest concern was buying worms from unknown conditions that could bring in disease.

Cheshiresbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017   #5
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I have never had problems with store bought worms.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, bloodworms, feeding, newts