The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 7th December 2017   #1
Biev

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Biev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and information
Default I need a backup staple

I have two issues with earthworms: one of my axolotls doesnít like them much, so he never eats quite enough, and I have a hard time sourcing them at this time of year - fishing season is over, ice fishing hasnít started yet, and online stores donít want to ship due to the weather.

Iíve been raising red wigglers as an alternative food source, but one of my lotls (the one who likes earthworms) always throws up after eating them. She also throws up frozen brine shrimp.

Iíve tried Repashyís Grub Pie, but they prefer smelling it than eating it.

Iíve tried sinking trout pellets - they wonít touch them.

At the moment theyíre mainly eating frozen bloodworms, which is problematic both for their health and for my wallet. They would eat fish culls, but I donít have any right now - all my fish are looking good. I could spare a few guppies, but Iím hesitant to feed them perfectly good fish - Iíd rather feed them something that canít feel pain, you know?

I thought about switching my red wigglers for black fly larvae, but Iím seeing conflicting reviews about their use as amphibian chow.

Any suggestions based on your personal experience?

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017   #2
Biev

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Biev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and information
Default Re: I need a backup staple

Iím updating this in case it can be useful to somebody: both of my axolotls readily took to the black soldier fly larvae. They have been stuffing their little faces! I can happily say that my fussy male isnít underweight anymore. Iím going to be alternating between earthworms and BSFL from now on. I love how easy the BSFL are to care for. Plus, they eat all the food waste red wigglers dont eat, and vice versa, so together they really make the best composting team! The only downside to using them is that it takes longer for my axolotls to catch them all, whereas worms are faster.

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote