The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 8th December 2017   #1
Anilaky

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Anilaky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are axolotls and lesser sirens good tank mates?

There is a 10-12 in female lesser siren for sale in my area and I was wondering if it would be okay to put them in with my two 7-8 inch axolotls for a couple of months until I got a new tank just for the siren?
I have been googling like crazy and havenít found an answer. I see that the care for both of them is pretty much the same (I saw somewhere that sirens like cold water like axies do, is this true? My tank stays between 65 and 67 degrees). I just wanted to know if someoneís ever had them together before or if not, if it would be an alright thing to try?

Please no hate or angry answers, I genuinely donít know and thatís why Iím trying to find out BEFORE I get the siren. If itís not a good idea then I just wonít buy the siren. Thereís no need to attack.

Anilaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017   #2
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has given good advice and informationHerpin Man has given good advice and information
Default Re: Are axolotls and lesser sirens good tank mates?

No, I would not keep them together. I have not kept sirens, but I have kept axolotls. They will snap at anything they encounter, and while the sirens may be too big to eat, they are not too big to be injured by the axolotls.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2017   #3
Tara
(Tarabull)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: Tarabull is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I keep both. The axolotls would be a meal to a full grown lesser siren or if the siren is small it would be a new kind of earthworm for the axolotl. Lesser Sirens are known to be aggressive and can rarely be kept with their own kind let alone another species. I only keep mine with whatever is also food; shrimp, guppies, small snails.

I say invest in another tank. Both species are fun pets and great to watch.

Tarabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018   #4
maxygus

Nationality:
Rep: maxygus is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely not. The siren would drive the axolotls crazy. They are far more active and would cause a lot of stress for the axolotls. Sirens are far more agressive too and would probably nip at the axolotls nonstop.

maxygus is offline   Reply With Quote