Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Green eggs

Markaxolotl

Reaction score
I recently bought some axolotl eggs which seem to be developing normally apart from their green colour. Its my first time raising axolotls from eggs so I'm a bit worried about them. I've attached a photo, could anyone tell me if this is normal or if not, any advice on what to do. Thanks.

Attachments

• AXY.jpg
    AXY.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 266

auntiejude

Reaction score
Do you have ham to go with the green eggs?! (sorry, couldn't resist)

They are most likely wildtype babies, they can appear greenish, brownish or greyish, striped, spotted or mottled. They look normal to me.

Markaxolotl

Reaction score
Haha thanks for the quick answer.
They were advertised as leucistic and are very white in the parts that aren't green which is why I was a bit puzzled. I guess we'll see how they develop.
Thanks

Axamum

Reaction score
Re: i also have a question about my eggs

My girl layed eggs yesterday morning, and now they are cloudy, only a small few arent cloudy, are they ok? Should i seperate them with the same tank water they are in?
It is her first time laying eggs, so im not worried if they dont work out, but im worried about how cloudy they are, i can attatch a photo in the morning

aalysaz

Reaction score
You probably should separate the mother and her eggs; axolotls tend to eat their own eggs and even hatched offspring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1