The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 23rd December 2017   #1
AnimlEnthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 24
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Black Sand safe for Axolotl? (Advice)

I've been wanting black sand. Does anyone have any info on an axolotl-safe black sand (or perhaps of another colored variety), aka one that is really smooth? (I know play sand is safe. Is there any black sand as smooth, or black play sand?)

Please offer me some info on safe black sand, or where to purchase some. Thanks.

Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017   #2
Biev

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Biev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and informationBiev has given good advice and information
Default Re: Black Sand safe for Axolotl? (Advice)

Black sand is generally coal slag, which is not safe for axolotls. Even companies such as CaribSea refuse to comment on whether their black sand is actually (very overpriced) coal slag. You would be better off using something dark brown.

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2017   #3
Blackbun

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Very interesting comment Biev.
I use black sand, itís volcanic origin, with the feel and size of the silver sand (play sand). Expect to pay a premium for it.Some sands are dyed. They tend to be rougher and slightly larger particle size. This I wouldnít use.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018   #4
Akiso914
(akiso914)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: akiso914 is an unknown quantity at this point

Iíve had black sand (previously used white play sand) for about a year now and I donít seem to see any adverse health effects. Iím prettty sure itís a finely ground volcanic sand. I rinsed well before addding it and it didnít cloud they water for more than a day. It was a bit more pricey than regular play sand. My lotls eat it and pass it just fine.

akiso914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl safe, axolotl sand, axolotl substrate, axolotl tank advice, black sand, safe for axolotls, safe substrate, smooth sand